[AWS] Typo/text encoding (aws.texi.tmplt) stop build_doc in default environment

Georg Bauhaus bauhaus at arcor.de
Sat Apr 30 20:36:14 CEST 2011

Hi,
trying to $ make build_doc on Mac OS X, I have stumbled
upon a few text encoding issues.  There are two different
issues, I think.  They both seem easy to fix.

1.  Line 5129 of current docs/aws.texi.tmplt will have

"Add CVS <CE>d tag in every generated file."

That's Character'Val(16#CE#) before the 'd' and it makes tr(1)
fail on Mac OS X---C locale and LC_CTYPE="UTF-8" are in effect.
Is this a typo?  Should it be

"Add CVS Id tag in every generated file."

instead?

2.  Nevertheless, aws.texi.tmplt being Latin-1 encoded,
tr(1) continues to fail when reading the byte of © (copyright sign)
which appears later.

This all occurs during $ make build_doc, for target gen_texi

	../$(BDIR)/../common/bin/build | tr -d '\r' > aws.texi

The following fix makes the assumptions, if any, about text
encoding explicit:

        ../$(BDIR)/../common/bin/build | \
                LC_CTYPE=en_US.ISO8859-1 tr -d '\r' > aws.texi

I have question, then.  Is the bit representation of source
text (encoding) of AWS files generally known?  If so, and if they share
a common text encoding, could the build environment be made to
match it?  I guess that otherwise I'll have to inspect individual
files and adjust the environment of the respective parts of the
build process accordingly.  Both seem possible.

- Georg