[AWS] "AWS install problems" posted on comp.lang.ada

brett hallett dragoncity at aanet.com.au
Thu May 27 14:58:26 CEST 2010

On Thu, 27 May 2010 09:12:45 +0200
Ludovic Brenta <ludovic at ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:

> brett hallett wrote:
> > I recently posted a query on comp.lang.ada regarding AWS install
> > problems to which I apparently received no replies ( zero count),
> > however I accidentally saw while browsing a entry referring to my
> > problem on www.keyongtech.com where there were indeed replies from
> > Pascal Obry & Ludovic Brenta -- my thanks to you both for your
> > useful input. And my apologies for not acknowledging your replies
> > sooner.
>
> That's OK, no problem mate :)
>
> > The problem is now resolved and I'm happily playing with AWS POP &
> > SMTP.
> >
> > Note: Although I referred to GNAT 2005 I meant Ada 2005 under latest
> > GNAT for Debian (Sidux) 4.3-5. Sorry for the confusion.
> >
> > I reinstalled every thing afresh and set up the two EXPORT variable
> > mentioned thus :
> >

> ADA_INCLUDE_PATH="/usr/share/ada/adainclude/:/usr/share/ada/adainclude/aws"

>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Apart for the .gpr files, this directory is empty, so no need for it
> in your ADA_INCLUDE_PATH.

> > ADA_OBJECTS_PATH="/usr/lib/ada/adalib"
>
> This directory is empty, too; you need /usr/lib/ada/adalib/aws.

Have adjusted PATH's as you suggested.

> > and removed any source file references in the GPS project
> > properties.
>
> So you are mixing a project file with ADA_{INCLUDE,OBJECT}_PATH?
> Strange... I didn't even know that worked.

Not sure what you mean :-) , I did have a Source DIR path set in the
GPS  Properties to  /usr/share/ada/adainclude/, and "include sub-dirs"
set , which I have now removed. ( I was trying all sorts of combinations
to resolve the compile
errors I encounted )

> > Although setting up a Project file seems to be the preferred
> > technique I had no success with that, indeed the GPS generated
> > project file looks nothing like that mentioned in Debian Policy for
> > Ada, chapter 6, "Using shared libraries"
> >
> > I'll have a play with that later.
>
> Note that you can edit your project file manually, too.  In my
> experience this gives better results and control than the project
> files generated by GPS.

I agree that this is probably a better arrangement, rather than
fiddling with .profile, however it is not
at all clear just what is the minimum .gpr setup to be effective from
the documentation, I'll have to study it further. I tried a version of
the example from aws.gpr file, but kept getting odd errors, especially
"duplicate references", hence I reverted to the EXPORT PATH technique.

--
Cheers,
Brett