[AWS] "AWS install problems" posted on comp.lang.ada

Ludovic Brenta ludovic at ludovic-brenta.org
Thu May 27 09:12:45 CEST 2010

brett hallett wrote:
> I recently posted a query on comp.lang.ada regarding AWS install
> problems to which I apparently received no replies ( zero count),
> however I accidentally saw while browsing a entry referring to my
> problem on www.keyongtech.com where there were indeed replies from
> Pascal Obry & Ludovic Brenta -- my thanks to you both for your useful
> input. And my apologies for not acknowledging your replies sooner.

That's OK, no problem mate :)

> The problem is now resolved and I'm happily playing with AWS POP & SMTP.
>
> Note: Although I referred to GNAT 2005 I meant Ada 2005 under latest
> GNAT for Debian (Sidux) 4.3-5. Sorry for the confusion.
>
> I reinstalled every thing afresh and set up the two EXPORT variable
> mentioned thus :

ADA_INCLUDE_PATH="/usr/share/ada/adainclude/:/usr/share/ada/adainclude/aws"
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Apart for the .gpr files, this directory is empty, so no need for it in
your ADA_INCLUDE_PATH.

> ADA_OBJECTS_PATH="/usr/lib/ada/adalib"

This directory is empty, too; you need /usr/lib/ada/adalib/aws.

> and removed any source file references in the GPS project properties.

So you are mixing a project file with ADA_{INCLUDE,OBJECT}_PATH?
Strange... I didn't even know that worked.

> Although setting up a Project file seems to be the preferred technique
> I had no success with that, indeed the GPS generated project file looks
> nothing like that mentioned in Debian Policy for Ada, chapter 6, "Using
> shared libraries"
>
> I'll have a play with that later.

Note that you can edit your project file manually, too.  In my experience
this gives better results and control than the project files generated by
GPS.

--
Ludovic Brenta.