[AWS] Persistent database connections

Maciej Sobczak prog at msobczak.com
Wed Apr 28 09:24:29 CEST 2010

Hi,

Thomas Løcke wrote:

> The SOCI binding was also _really_ impressive. It reminded me of the
> PHP PDO interface, which I have used a lot and really like. But I want
> to keep dependencies as low as possible, and SOCI required a C++
> library, which I would then also have to keep an eye on. Or am I
> missing something?

The only thing you are missing is that the author of SOCI-Ada and the
project manager of SOCI is the same person ;-) which has the interest to
keep them both alive.
That is, these two libraries are logically a single library and it is
very likely that at some point they will merge or will be reorganized in
some way to form a single deliverable. Either SOCI-Ada will be merged
into SOCI or the necessary part of SOCI will be extracted and delivered
with SOCI-Ada.

In short - there is no need to worry about additional dependencies and
the actual advantage of the current structure is that the part of
library that actually interacts with the database server is pretty
well-tested, because its user base is relatively big.

Regards,

--
Maciej Sobczak * www.msobczak.com * www.inspirel.com