[AWS] Persistent database connections

Thomas Løcke thomas.granvej6 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 00:24:25 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Pascal Obry <pascal.obry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thomas,
>
>> All hints and advice are more than welcome. Also in regards to a good
>> database package (PostgreSQL).  :o)
>
> I like sqlite. We've been using it for Vision2Pixels. It is embedded (as
> AWS), small, fast and does not require to install a database. At first
> we thought that this was a temporary solution, quite nice for testing
> the software as it is trivial to create a DB. After some time, and
> reading some report on the Web we found out that sqlite is quite fast
> and scale well for our needs.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I've looked at a few DB bindings, and I think I'm going to settle on
GNATCOLL. At least I will, if version 1.3 is released to the general
public anytime soon.

If that's not going to happen, I might go for PostgreSQL-Ada (the new pgada).

The SOCI binding was also _really_ impressive. It reminded me of the
PHP PDO interface, which I have used a lot and really like. But I want
to keep dependencies as low as possible, and SOCI required a C++
library, which I would then also have to keep an eye on. Or am I
missing something?

I've used SQLite a lot over the years, and I do like it. It's a great
piece of software, but I already have a few PostgreSQL servers
running, so going with PostgreSQL is a no-brainer for me. PostgreSQL
is an awesome RDBMS, IMHO.

Regards,
Thomas Løcke