[AWS] AWS svn and development process

Pascal Obry pascal.obry at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 18:38:16 CEST 2010

Thomas,

> Please excuse me if these questions are completely braindead, but at
> what point does a contribution to a project like AWS warrant a
> separate copyright notice? Is it necessary/required for a 5 line
> patch, if the patch is a bugfix or a minor addition to existing
> functionality?

No. As I said for trivial and small patches this is not required.

> What if, for example, I added my small cookie package to AWS, and
> wrote the necessary documentation for it. Would the "patch" to the
> documentation require a copyright notice? Or the code for that matter?

For the cookie support, yes this would require a copyright assignment.

> And what if the author, in this case me, doesn't care? Could I just
> give the code and documentation to the project, and let Pascal and
> company do what they like with it, or would that put the AWS project
> in a difficult position?

You "don't care" today does not mean that you won't care for the rest of
AWS life :)

> All this licensing/copyright stuff is completely new to me, seeing as
> I've mostly coded software used internally in my own business.

I'm not an expert either!

Pascal.

--|    http://www.obry.net  -  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|