[AWS] Copying AWS-using code to new Windows system: what do we need?

Pascal Obry pascal at obry.net
Wed Sep 24 17:11:48 CEST 2008

Jocelyn,

> I ask because I can see a number of possibilities. But I don't know which
> is appropriate:
>
> 1) On our development machine, we can link our code into a single .exe
> file that contains all the Gnat and AWS run-time system. Then we only need
> to copy that .exe file to the other machines.

This is possible if you build AWS statically. See makefile.conf.

> 2) As 1, but we can't make the .exe contain the libraries, so we have to
> copy it, and the AWS DLLs (and the Gnat DLLs?) to the other machines.

This is needed if you build AWS as a shared library. In this case you
will need to copy the AWS DLLs and the GNAT ones into your other
computer and set the PATH accordingly.

> 3) We have to install Gnat and AWS on the other machines, and set some
> environment variables (PATH?) to point at their DLLs. But then we can run
> the .exe that we've compiled on our development machine.

Looks like 2 to me.

> 4) We have to install Gnat and AWS on the other machines, and set some
> environment variables. And we have to recompile our code on these
> machines, because you can't guarantee that a .exe compiled on one machine
> will work on another.

No and a .exe will run fine in any Windows machine (XP or Vista).

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|