[AWS] Step by step build for AWS-gpl-2.2.0 on Windows XP

Jocelyn Paine popx at j-paine.org
Wed Sep 24 16:28:58 CEST 2008

Thiago Henrique de Carvalho wrote:

> Thank you for your guide, it was very helpful! I followed it for AWS
> 2.5.0on Windows Vista and it worked great.
>
> I had a "make[1]: cc: Command not found " error and Pascal's suggestion
> solved it.
>
> Only trouble was I had a "Permission denied" error when running make
> build.
> Somehow gai_strerror.o was being created without proper permissions and
> Ihad to chmod 777 it and rerun make build.

I've found that Vista is much more fussy about file permissions than XP.
I've not looked into the matter, but I suspect Microsoft have made access
control more rigorous. But this is another good reason for having Cygwin,
because with it, you can easily execute a recursive chmod to change all
your permissions back to something sensible.

I'll update my guide so it mentions your problem and cure.

Jocelyn Paine
http://www.j-paine.org
+44 (0)7768 534 091