[AWS] ssl-thin on Windows

Jocelyn Paine popx at j-paine.org
Fri Aug 15 15:25:13 CEST 2008

I've just installed AWS on Windows XP, and tried compiling the demo
program hello_world.adb . When I run
  gnatmake hello_world.adb
I get the error:
  hello_world.adb:35:06: file "ssl-thin.ads" not found
Before compiling, I set ADA_INCLUDE_PATH to
c:\gnat\include\aws;c:\gnat\include\aws\components .

I see that there isn't an ssl-thin.ads anywhere, but in the config
subdirectory of AWS, there are ssl-thin__dummy.ads, ssl-thin__gnutls.ads,
and ssl-thin__openssl.ads. How do these relate to ssl-thin.ads and to the
installation process? In my makefile.conf, I left the variable SOCKET at
its default, std. Had I set it to openssl, say, would "make" have copied
ssl-thin_openssl.ads to ssl-thin.ads?

But also, why does hello_world need Secure Sockets at all? hello_world is
just a tiny Web server that listens on a specified port, isn't it? I'm
puzzled by why the compiler asks for _any_ Secure Sockets library.

Incidentally, I'm using AWS and Gnat GPL with my friend Graham Stark
for an economics modelling project, and we're both very pleased with it.
As a thankyou, I've written a guide explaining how I installed AWS on
Windows XP. It's at
http://www.j-paine.org/installing_aws_for_xp.html
and might be useful to new users who aren't familiar with Cygwin or
"make".

Many thanks,

Jocelyn Paine
http://www.j-paine.org