[AWS] A few general questions

Pascal Obry pascal at obry.net
Fri Feb 24 18:25:42 CET 2006

Richard,

That's a lot of questions in a single mail...

> So far I have implemented the status page, the directory browser, a simple
> templates parser example, a split page, recording and deleting of session
> data, logs, https, a digest authentication prompt and a smtp email form.

That's already a good job!

> * With the spilt page, when clicking 'next' from the first page I get "404
> Error Page /transient/$$$$4YedQD1aVA6HZIaSIWTuR Not found.". What am i
> missing? Have I missed a 'with' or 'use' unit? Or is the problem deeper,
> something I forgot to compile with AWS?

No. You're main callback must return 404 if the page is not known, is
that the case ?

> * The AWS.Response.Moved callback behaves the same as the AWS.Response.URL
> callback by immediately redirecting to the new page, despite taking an
> extra parameter to notify the user to 'update your bookmarks'? Isn't this
> meant to display a page for an amount of time?

The difference is that Moved takes a Message where URL does not. Both
are otherwise very similar as there are both using the 301 return code.

> * When the digest authentication is completed once, it is remembered for a
> while, even if the session data is deleted. Is this meant to mappen? Why,
> and how can I stop this?

Yes. Authentication are not part of the session but it is internal to
the browser. Until the browser is closed the authentication data are
sent back automatically.

> * When uploading a file to the server, the file is immediately deleted
> after the callback. How do i 'rename or move' the file to keep it around?

This is in the documentation ;). It is removed for security reasons. We
do not want AWS to store all file received it could run out of disk
space. So if an upload if not explicitly handled by the user it is
removed. You need to rename the received file. See File upload section.
To rename the file see Ada.Directories.

> Also, I have tried to compile the cvs version of AWS to add support for
> AJAX, but have been unsuccessful so far. I'm sure its something simple i'm
> missing, if anyone can give me simple instructions what to do (environment
> variables or other required packages) that'd be lovely.

The instruction are in the documentation. Come back with a details about
the problem, we'll try to find the solution.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|