[AWS] A few general questions

Richard Pawley pawleyrm at aston.ac.uk
Wed Feb 22 21:39:37 CET 2006

Hi,

I am currently working on a project for my university degree which is to
demonstrate the functionality and advantages of using AWS as a web server
over the competition. I have been working from the AWS User Guide, the
demos, and source files and I am confused on a few areas. I am using
ubuntu linux, AWS 2.1 GPL edition and GNAT GPL 2005.

Currently I have everything implemented using callbacks. I am looking to
change this to dispatchers, but have ran across a few problems as it
require changing the code a fair bit. Any advice in addition to the user
guide would be welcome :)

So far I have implemented the status page, the directory browser, a simple
templates parser example, a split page, recording and deleting of session
data, logs, https, a digest authentication prompt and a smtp email form.

Specific problems:
* With the spilt page, when clicking 'next' from the first page I get "404
Error Page /transient/$$$$4YedQD1aVA6HZIaSIWTuR Not found.". What am i
missing? Have I missed a 'with' or 'use' unit? Or is the problem deeper,
something I forgot to compile with AWS?

* The AWS.Response.Moved callback behaves the same as the AWS.Response.URL
callback by immediately redirecting to the new page, despite taking an
extra parameter to notify the user to 'update your bookmarks'? Isn't this
meant to display a page for an amount of time?

* When the digest authentication is completed once, it is remembered for a
while, even if the session data is deleted. Is this meant to mappen? Why,
and how can I stop this?

* When uploading a file to the server, the file is immediately deleted
after the callback. How do i 'rename or move' the file to keep it around?

Also, I have tried to compile the cvs version of AWS to add support for
AJAX, but have been unsuccessful so far. I'm sure its something simple i'm
missing, if anyone can give me simple instructions what to do (environment
variables or other required packages) that'd be lovely.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's time and effort, I understand this a
lot to ask at once!

Many thanks,
Richard Pawley