[AWS] forbidding acces to directories on the server

xabier.artola at ehu.es xabier.artola at ehu.es
Wed Apr 5 20:08:25 CEST 2006

Pascal,

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Pascal Obry wrote:

> Xabier,
>
>> (1) how can I do to forbid the access to some directories in the server?
>> Is it doable without a configuration file? If a configuration file is
>> needed, how can I do it? Thanks in advance.
>
> Are you talking about the ready-to-use directory browser ?

> If it is on your own code you just have to check for the URI on the
> callback routine and return back the appropriate answer (404, or a nice
> error message). Remember there is no direct relation between URI and
> files in AWS.

No, we don't use the ready-to-use directory browser. But you have answered
my question: I will check the URI! Sometimes we don't see the most evident
things!!!

>> (2) We have implemented an electronic dictionary as a browser-based
>> application to be distributed on CD in a first version. This CD version,
>> running under Windows, has already been released in July 2005, and now
>> we have rebuilt the application under Linux in order to publish the
>> dictionary on-line. We are very glad because the only change we have
>> done in the code is to comment the lines that caused the shutdown of the
>> server in the CD version since, obviously, they are not anymore needed
>> in the on-line version.
>
> That's a very nice testimonial. Thanks.

And AWS is a great tool, indeed. The dictionary has been developed in
collaboration with a Cuban institute for applied linguistics, and it is
been employed already in many secondary schools there. We are now testing
the on-line version.

>> I would like to publish a short note on this
>> development at the AWS web site, but I don't find now the right place:
>> has it been discontinued? Thanks for your help,
>
> Which AWS web site ? For sure it is not discontinued, I have a page on
> my home page in french about AWS and the main AWS Web page is at the
> Libre site. See:

Yes, I know about these sites, but I remember that before there were notes
on different developments made using AWS, but I can't find them now. Where
are there? Thanks,

Xabier.