[AWS] *NIX daemons using AWS

Pascal Obry pascal at obry.net
Sat Jul 23 09:03:55 CEST 2005

Peter,

 > How should a process written in Ada fork?

I'm not expert in UNIX demons but I really don't see why should a fork occurs.

 > > ---
 > > When a daemon starts up, it has to do some low-level housework to get
 > > itself ready for its real job. This involves a few steps:
 > >
 > >     * Fork off the parent process

I would say not needed.

 > >     * Change file mode mask (umask)

Don't know about this one. This is probably possible by binding to the C
umask() routine, another solution is to use a complete POSIX binding like
florist.

 > >     * Open any logs for writing

This is easily done using Text_IO.

 > >     * Create a unique Session ID (SID)

What for ?

 > >     * Change the current working directory to a safe place

Using GNAT.OS_Lib.

 > >     * Close standard file descriptors

What for ? If the process is launched in backgroud there is no valid
stdin/stdout/stderr anyway. As there was not fork then there is no file
descriptor inherited anyway.

I would just write my program in Ada, place it in a cron table or into one of
the /etc/rc?.d/ directory, that's all.

Again, I'm no expert here so...

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net