[AWS] buffer overflow?

Ted Dennison dennison@ssd.fsi.com
Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:39:59 -0500

Pascal Obry wrote:

>Jacob,
>
> > In general yes.  The main problem here is probably that the
> > default behaviour of one of the more wide-spread Ada
> > compilers (GNAT) is to disable run-time checks.  IMHO this
> > is _very_ stupid (but I am willing to be educated about the
> > benefits).
>
>That would be very stupid if this was true ! Please check the documentation,
>only one check (number overflow) is off by default.

My (admittidly ancient) Gnat user guide for version 3.13p contains the
following:

    For most operating systems, |gcc| does not perform stack overflow
    checking by default.

If that has been changed, I'm quite glad to hear it.

--
T.E.D.   Work     -  mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com
         Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)