[AWS] Is cygwin needed on windows?

Alejandro. R. Mosteo Chagoyen A. R. Mosteo Chagoyen" <alejandro@mosteo.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 09:22:45 +0200

A post from the other day has caused me a doubt. Someone said that to
build AWS you need to do a unix-like make. Now, my question is if is
enough with the one which comes with the default install of Gnat 3.15p
on windows or you need cygwin.

I remember I tried some time ago to do a build without cygwin, but it
failed (I think it complaint about not being capable of creating
process rm or cp). What I did was to include all AWS source folders in
my makefile and manually rename the few files that were with alternate
implementations. It seemed to work OK.

However, today I changed a compiler option (specifically, added
-gnata) and started to get assertion fails in Aws.Client.adb:238, and
I was wondering if it could be a problem with the library not being
built according to instructions. That has lead me back to the building
matter, and I don't know if I didn't try well enough with mingw make
or really I need cygwin.

Or could it be that my adopted solution is indeed well enough and the
assertion is really a problem in AWS, but I don't thing so because the
call (a non-persistent http get) doesn't seem to have so much mystery
to have slipped through testing.

TIA,

A. Mosteo.