[AWS] A constructive criticism for the ada build/makefiles

David Marceau davidmarceau@sympatico.ca
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:48:51 -0500

First off the aws team are doing a fantastic job.

I just want to find a way to reduce the configuration questions on the
latest releases from cvs so that there more successful first runs giving
AWS and associated dependencies a better first impression.

A while ago I came across the coolest strategy to build stuff from cvs.

If you look at the cvs for kde and kdebindings, you will notice they use
a makefile.cvs file along with other stuff.
There is a lot of work here but it does work well.  If I do have time I
will actually write up explicit examples of these files for aws to build
with.

Mind you this implies making similar versions for aws dependencies. i.e.
adaxml, adasockets, soap...

In my mind this would help reduce the questions concerning build and
configuration for all this stuff.
This constructive criticism was sparked a while ago when I came across
attempting to build the aws documentation which failed and as a result
the aws server configuration at run time was not correct for some reason
I don't remember why.  The previous relative path question on the
mailing list just reminded me of this suggestion.

Cheers,
David Marceau