[AWS] Encoding problems with SOAP

Pascal Obry p.obry@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:19:14 +0100

Arnaud,

 > What's the encoding of the string returned by
 >
 >    function Get (P : in List; Name : in String) return String;
 >    --  Returns parameter named Name in P as a String value. Raises
 >    --  Types.Data_Error if this parameter does not exist or is not a String.

This is not specified because it returns a standard Ada string with a standard
ASCII encoding.

 > (in SOAP.Parameters) ?
 >
 > It seems that it's in the 'ada' charset encoding (basic_8bit), despite the
 > fact that the soap call is made with UTF-8 encoded parameters.

Exactly.

 > If so, is there a way to force a UTF-8 output of the Get function ?

No. All strings are converted from UTF-8 to Basic 8bit during the XML
payload parsing. I'm not sure why you want this string as UTF-8 but a
possible option to avoid this conversion is to pass your string Base64
encoded. I understand that this is only a workaround to a current
limitation. Hope this help.

Pascal.

--|