[AWS] Features for the future

Florian Weimer Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
05 Sep 2001 10:55:17 +0200

"Anisimkov" <anisimkov@yahoo.com> writes:

> Is it mean that there is a licensing problem with using OpenSSL together
> with AWS ?

Yes, there is.

> Could you give me a bit explanation about it ?

The OpenSSL license is not compatible with the GPL because of its
advertising clause.  As a result, it is not possible to distribute
binaries which contain both GPLed code (of which you aren't the
author) and OpenSSL code.  Now, for GNAT, things are a bit different,
I suppose, because AWS itself does not cause the resulting binary to
fall under the GPL (because of the GNAT-style exception), however
there are scenarios in which the compatibility problem shows up.  For
example, you cannot distribute a shared library based on AWS and
OpenSSL.

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/