[PolyORB-users] PolyORB subversion repository contains two copies of AWS?

Ludovic Brenta ludovic at ludovic-brenta.org
Sun Mar 8 15:38:20 CET 2009

Jérôme Hugues <hugues at telecom-paristech.fr> writes:
> Le 8 mars 09 à 01:29, Ludovic Brenta a écrit :
>
>> 1) Which, if any, of these directories are necessary for building
>>   PolyORB? Why?
>
> none of them are used. Here is some element of the history of PolyORB
>
> In 2003, a master thesis was done on how to integrate part of AWS
> inside PolyORB. This brought
> aws which was the AWS personality of PolyORB
> aws_orig, some files required to compile the AWS personality
> web_common, some files required by the SOAP personality
>
> none of them are now used, since this part was more a proof of concept
> than anything, it is neither packaged,
> nor built

Thanks a lot for this explanation.

> Hence your other questions are now irrelevant
>
> However, I do not understand your question about which one are
> required for building, as it depends mostly on options
> passed to configure, where you can select personalities, CORBA
> services, etc. What do you have in mind ?

I'm helping people package PolyORB for Debian[1].  The goal is to
provide a set of precompiled, binary packages for a subset of all
possible personalities.  I'm thinking of using the Subversion
repository as the source from which to do this packaging.  Since
Debian already carries precompiled binary packages of AWS, it would
make sense to use them if we decided to provide the AWS personality.
However your answers above suggest that this personality is no longer
being developed, so may not be a good idea to provide a binary package
of it, so we'll simply remove the AWS sources from the PolyORB package
and leave it at that.

The SOAP personality seems to require XML/Ada, a binary package of
which is also in Debian, so it might make sense to remove web_common,
too.  Am I correct?  Is this SOAP personality still being developed,
or was it also a proof of concept?

--
Ludovic Brenta.