[PolyORB-users] Bug: parallel build does not work

Jérôme Hugues hugues at telecom-paristech.fr
Sat Apr 25 20:36:52 CEST 2009

Le 25 avr. 09 à 20:31, Reto Buerki a écrit :

> I'm trying to build the latest polyorb subversion checkout (r143261)
> with multiple simultaneous make jobs. The build fails at the
> beginning with:
>
> $ make -j3
> make: *** No rule to make target `compilers/gnatprfh/gnatprfh', needed
> by `src/soap/polyorb-http_methods.adb'.  Stop.
> make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>
> The same config works when not building in parallel.
>
> configure command used:
> ./configure --prefix=/tmp
>
> system: Debian/Lenny
>
> What could be the problem here? Please tell me if you need more
> information to debug this.

You should not need to tell make to perform parallel build, this is
handled already in the makefile, using "-j4" as default, see

Makefile.in:# the command line if needed. Also, need to specify
PARALLEL_GNATMAKE_FLAGS
Makefile.in:PARALLEL_GNATMAKE_FLAGS = -j4
Makefile.in:BASE_GNATMAKE_FLAGS	  := ${ADAFLAGS} $
{PARALLEL_GNATMAKE_FLAGS} ${EXTRA_GNATMAKE_FLAGS}

The problem here is that make does not know how to build in parrallel
correctly, whereas gnatmake does.

--
Jérôme Hugues, TELECOM ParisTech
http://www.telecom-paristech.fr/~hugues