[PolyORB-users] Can't configure PolyOrb using MSYS and/or Cygwin on WinXP

Bob Duff duff at adacore.com
Sun Dec 28 22:28:16 CET 2008

Rob Groen wrote:

> I have a WinXP SP3 Pro system with both MSYS and Cygwin installed.. For
> the Ada environment I am using GNAT GPL 2008
>
> On MSYS the ./configure complains about not having the Ada compiler
> installed (it can find the Gnatchop utility in proper directory, that is
> the same as the one where the ada compiler resides...)

Cygwin is required, in order to build PolyORB from sources on windows.

> On Cygwin I had 2 go's, first after downloading the standard Cygwin
> config it complaint that :
> it could not find /lib/cpp. So I ran the Cygwin setup again, checked the
> C++ compiler packages in the dev branch and ran the whole thing again.
> Now under Cygwin it can't find the Ada compiler either, It can find
> Gnatchop...
> Setting the symbol ADA to the patch where the Ada compiler is
> (ADA=/GNAT/GPL/bin/gcc in my case) did not help. Adding a .exe suffix to
> the symbol string did not make any difference

Sounds like a problem with your path.  Make sure to follow the instructions in
the PolyORB User's Guide.

> Pls, help!
>
> (BTW using this kind of installing (./configure, make etc, that do not
> seem to be working in a standard out-of-the-box way) in a MSWindows
> world is not helping to spread the use of Ada and related tools. Is a
> setup like the one used for the GNAT GPL suite not much better?)

Yes, you're right.  Windows users are used to having an automatic installer to
install a pre-built binary package.  We are currently working on providing such
a thing.  So the windows install should be easier in the future.

Hope this helps!

- Bob