[PolyORB-users] DIOP instead of IIOP

Jerome Hugues hugues at infres.enst.fr
Tue Mar 1 09:44:14 CET 2005

Selim Belbachir (selim.belbachir at fr.thalesgroup.com):

> I built the echo example and used the naming service instead of the
> copying the URI. It worked perfectly.  Then I tried to replace IIOP
> by DIOP by changing the following settings in the .conf files of all
> exe :

> [access_points]
> srp=disable
> soap=disable
> #iiop=disable
> diop=disable
> uipmc=disable
>
> [modules]
> binding_data.srp=disable
> binding_data.soap=disable
> #binding_data.iiop=disable
> binding_data.diop=disable
> binding_data.uipmc=disable
>
> became
>
> [access_points]
> srp=disable
> soap=disable
> iiop=disable
> #diop=disable
> uipmc=disable
>
> [modules]
> binding_data.srp=disable
> binding_data.soap=disable
> binding_data.iiop=disable
> #binding_data.diop=disable
> binding_data.uipmc=disable
>
> I also replaced
>
> [corba]
> naming_ior=corbaloc:iiop:1.2 at 127.0.0.1:2809/000000000000000131010deadc0d  (<- string
> returned by po_cos_naming.exe)
> by
> [corba]
> naming_ior=corbaloc:diop:1.2 at 127.0.0.1:2809/000000000000000131010deadc0d  (I changed fhe
> default port to 2809 for diop and iiop) (I tried diop:1.0 too)

OK, did you try to execute the client ?

> After that, I read a few notes on the web about diop and polyorb and
> they always referred to oneway methods. I was wondering if diop has
> to be used only with oneway methods or if I've done something wrong
> in my configuration.

DIOP is to be used only with oneway methods, it does not allow any
return value, as indicated in par. 11.2.2 in the User's Guide. DIOP is
a lighter version of MIOP/UIPMC that works over UDP.

You can configure your node with two way requests, but only using the
DIOP personality. However, an exception indicating that the DIOP
personality rejects your request will be sent only at run-time.

Best regards,

Jerome