[PolyORB-users] Re: pragma Linker_Options

Wright, Simon J simon.j.wright at amsjv.com
Mon Feb 7 16:50:34 CET 2005

Jerome Hugues wrote:

> The effet of pragma Linker_Options is implementation specific. In the
> case of GNAT, it is defined in the GNAT RM, which states in 4. (77)
> that:
>
> " The string passed to Linker_Options is presented uninterpreted as an
> argument to the link command, unless it contains Ascii.NUL
> characters. NUL characters if they appear act as argument separators,
> so for example
>
>      pragma Linker_Options ("-labc" & ASCII.Nul & "-ldef");
>
> causes two separate arguments -labc and -ldef to be passed to the
> linker. The order of linker options is preserved for a given unit. The
> final list of options passed to the linker is in reverse order of the
> elaboration order. For example, linker options fo a body always appear
> before the options from the corresponding package spec."

That certainly sounds as though it solves the problem I was worried about
for Linker_Options. If PO discards Linker_Options, you end up having to
write the order 'by hand' in polyorb.config-in.

One thought: both Martin & I have found ourselves having to copy a Linux
installation (no .ali's) to use under Windows, this (obscure, work-round)
approach is made difficult with Linker_Options.