[PolyORB-users] Case clash in idls/

Simon Wright simon at pushface.org
Sun Feb 6 20:39:19 CET 2005

> As true with many cvs archives. As you know cvs isn't ClearCase or SubVersi=
> on=20
> and can't do rename and directory versions - and -Pd is the only workaround=
> =20
> available.
>
> BTW: did you have a look at my build-polyorb? - it has a "get" option using=
> =20
> "-C -P -d" - reconf overwrites a few automake files and without -C you will=
> =20
> never see new automake files.

Don't quite follow this, if support/reconfig is going to overwrite them?

> It also contains several other cleanup jobs needed when PolyORB is compiled=
> =20
> for different Platforms or with different compilers.

At the moment I'm trying to get PO to build for Windows under MinGW,
with very little in the way of success. This is with GNAT 5.02a1 &
mingw 3.2.0 rc.

* idlac calls the CXXCPP with a strange mixture of slashes;

    .\../cos/naming/CosNaming.idl

  for example. This works fine unless the idl has #includes, when the
  mingw native gcc fails. The only way I could get this to work was

    CXXCPP='c:/GNATPRO/5.02a1/bin/gcc -E' ../polyorb/configure

* support/adacompiler has race condition, need to put 'sleep 1' before
  'mv $newname $1' at end or it doesn't find the new .o

* links with native-linker (eg po_catref) fail because gnatlink can't
  find the native linker (it says); remove the
  --LINK=../../support/native-linker and it's OK

* links with target-linker (eg po_cos_naming) eat all memory & die, I
  just touched the .exe because I can use the omni name service or a
  Linux polyorb one (I could try removing --LINK= and changing all the
  .la's to .a)

and after all that I can't get my test software to actually work. At
least that part of it may be to do with running Windows under VMWare
here!

I'll give your cleanup script a try, though it takes so long for a
build under MinGW that I'm losing the will to live ...