[gvd-users] GVD for Win98

Steve Underwood gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Tue, 27 May 2003 21:39:01 +0800

zlamal@ufi.fme.vutbr.cz wrote:

>I tried to use GVD on Windows98 but binary for NT/2000 does not
>work. I tried to compile it, but I have problems even when I tried
>suggestions from this archive.
>
>Have anybody working GVD for Windows98 and can send me copy?

The current GVD is known to seg fault on Win98.

I had trouble with GCC, built as an MCU cross compiler, seg faulting on
Win98 with Cygwin, and recently found the cause. There is a bug in
Cygwin when using mmap. On Win NT, 2000 and XP it seems to always work
OK. On Win98 it sometimes allocates the same address more than once. I
put a simple check in GCC for repeat allocation of the same block, and
made it grab memory again until it gets a different block. Now my GCC
build works OK on Win98. I wonder if a similar problem lies behind the
trouble with GVD.

Regards,
Steve