[gvd-users] My first session on a supercomputer

Arnaud Charlet gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:03:27 +0100

Randy,

> I've been watching this mailing list for the last year and a half waiting to
> see if dbx would ever be supported.  It looks like it never will.  I've

never is probably a string word, since you're showing some interest in
implementing it :-)

I guess you meant something like "will never be implemented by the core
gvd developers". My guess is that this statement is probably true, since
our developments are driven by our customer needs, and since we only support
GVD in the support of gdb at this stage...

> found my self with some extra time lately and wouldn't mind adding this
> feature so that I can finally start using gvd instead of ddd.  Can anyone
> point me in the right direction to get started.

Sure, as Emmanuel said a few messages ago in this thread, the first place
to look at is debugger.ads for a list of primitive operations to support
(you do not have to support them all at once, this can be an incremental
process), and look at debugger-gdb.ads for inspiration on how debugger support
is done for gdb.

That's for the basic debugger support. Now if you also want to add intelligent
language support (e.g. proper support for graph display), then you also
need to provide support for languages for a given debugger. See
language-debugger.ads for the generic spec, and debugger-gdb-c.ads for an
example of how the C language is supported for gdb.

So in short, you will need to provide debugger-dbx.ad{s,b}, and probably
debugger-dbx-c.ad{s,b}

Arno