[gvd-users] My first session on a supercomputer

Arjan van Dijk gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 17:23:05 +0100

>Because this is a list where any people can participate, and people can
>make both right and wrong answers/suggestions. This particular answer was
>simply wrong.

I had no intention to offend anyone. I was just surprised to find out
that gvd worked the way it does and I hoped that I had misunderstood
the suggestion to use "--debugger=dbx", because something else had to
be changed too or so. I am already glad that this forum works and
that answers are given at all. And I like the concept of gvd.

>Also note that GVD does not support the Fortran language either.

What's Fortran-specific about gvd? If I have a debugger (e.g. gdb)
that works on fortran (there is I believe a russian version of gdb
that does like fortran!), does gvd need more than the protocol of the
debugger to handle the fortran program?

>Like all public lists, you cannot expect to get free support and free
>development without getting involved.

I realized that. I'll see how far I get.

>If you really need your configuration to work, you may consider either of
>the following alternatives:
>
>- try to use gdb in C mode
>- try to use gdb, and add support for Fortran in GVD
>- add support for dbx (and optionally fortran) in GVD
>- hope that someone else will do the work for you
>- if you have $$$, ask for a company (e.g. sales@act-europe.fr) to develop
>   either of the above non trivial solutions for you

As you may expect, I try a multi-track way to a solution. I have
placed the question about good debugging (e.g. with gvd) also at the
helpdesk of our supercomputer. They are very collaborative, so who
knows what can come out of it?

>Note that GVD's code is very well written and documented, so the fact that
>it is written in Ada only adds to the clarity of the code. It does not really
>matter if you know Ada or not, at least for understanding the code and
>doing some copy/paste.

As said earlier: I'll see what I can do.

Regards and thanks,

Arjan