[gvd-users] Explorer window files

David Brown gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:09:59 +0200

I have a couple more questions about gvd, especially regarding the explorer
window.  My program is in C, and is cross-compiled for the m68k processor,
using the newlib library, and I'm running on NT.

When I open the file (either the "elf" file, or a "coff" format version made
from the original elf file with objcopy - the version of gdb I used earlier
was happier with coff files), the explorer window shows every C file in the
project, including all the library source files.  If I try to click on one
of the library source files, the gvd source window shows something like
    "../../../../../../../source/gcc-2.95.3/newlib/libc/string/memcap.c:
File not found"

Similarly, it fails to find any of the other library files (which is not too
surprising - I have the source for newlib on my machine, but I am linking
against a pre-compiled version, which is bound to have different paths than
my machine).

Clicking on my own C files (all of which are in the same directory from
which I started gvd), works fine.

The header branch of the explorer tree is even worse - in addition to my own
.h files, all the library headers are shown here.  Additionally, most of
these library headers are shown several times, each giving a "File not
found" message with slightly different paths (the same header file can often
be found in several locations in the newlib tree).

When I choose "Delete Files Not Found", all the library C and H files are
removed from the explorer tree.  Unfortunately, so are most of my project
files!  I am left with 2 out of about 15 C files, and about 12 of the 15
header files in the explorer window.  These are files that were displayed
without trouble when I clicked on them before choosing "Delete Files Not
Found".

If I have choosen "Delete Files Not Found", gvd pops up an error box
whenever it should display one of my files that are now hidden (for example,
if I put a breakpoint in one of the hidden files, and choose "View" from the
Edit Breakpoints dialog).  I haven't reported this as a bug - I thought I
would first ask if this was a known effect.

If anyone has any ideas as to why I am getting either far too much or far
too little in the explorer window, I would be very glad to hear them.

A smaller issue I am also wondering about - is there any way to change the
tab size in the source code display from 8 spaces to 4?

Thanks,

David Brown
Norway.