[gvd-users] Running GVD on Windows98

Les Newell gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:28:47 +0100

Hi Arno,

> Well, it is fetching all the data that it is displaying, which might
> be more than you might want. That being said, there might be ways to
> improve/reduce the communication between gdb and the target.

I did a little investigation here. I set the start address to 0x60000 and
GVD fetched data from 0x60000 to 0x60fff (4K bytes) although the window only
displayed the range 0x60000-0x60150 (336 bytes). If I resize the window
there is no serial activity so I assume GVD tries to read enough data to
fill any size window. Using the up and down buttons also makes GVD read a
complete 4K snapshot of memory.

> You can always use e.g a graph display `x/20w 0x...` instead.

I didn't think of this. I will give it a go.

> > Also is there any way of passing arguments to GDB on the command line?
>
> Yes, using --dargs, see gvd --help and the gvd documentation.

Oops -RTFM. Sorry, I looked but I didn't see.
However, having just tried this I can't get it to work:
both
C:\H8Projects\EchoDelay>gvd --dargs --command=.gdbinit
and
C:\H8Projects\EchoDelay>gvd --dargs "--command=.gdbinit"
just pop up the GVD --help page.
I know that GDB should read .gdbinit anyway but for some reason my Cygwin
build appears to be unable to find .gdbinit by itself.

BTW with a remote serial target like the h8300, GDB does not know how to
'run'. I had to redefine run :
define run
target remote com2
load
jump start
end

This works well though the console window only displays the first character
of gdb's responses until the target program stops. At this point the console
window redraws correctly.

Thanks for your help,
Les