[gvd-users] Running GVD on Windows98

Avy gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Wed, 06 Jun 2001 17:41:20 +0200

--------------3203B06968A63F5EA36CB716

I've build GVD successfuly on Win98, using cygwin and bash as the shell running
configure, and as sh (i.e.
bash was copied over sh.exe).  You need to modify the prefix line in the
gtkada-config script to point
the the actual place your GtkAda is located.

I also advised to change the install file in the kit to the attached file.

Have fun
Avy

Les Newell wrote:

> I am trying to build GVD to run under Win98 and am having difficulty running
> configure.
> I created a gtkada-config script as per Arnaud's instructions and put it in
> c:\GtkAda-1.13.11\bin then changed to my build directory and tried to use SH
> to run the configure script as below
>
> C:\GVD\build>SH ../src/configure --prefix=c:/GtkAda-1.3.11
> ../src/configure: no matches found: conftest* [488]
> creating cache ./config.cache
> <cat hangs here - I have to press ctrl-break to get out>
> ../src/configure: no matches found: conftest* [439]
>
> If I try again without deleting config.cache I get the following:
> C:\GVD\build>SH ../src/configure --prefix=c:/GtkAda-1.3.11
> ../src/configure: no matches found: conftest* [488]
> configure: error: can not run ../src/config.sub
>
> In desperation I tried Cygwin. This seemed more successful but it did not
> like the gtkada-config script:
> <everything goes fine up to here>
> checking for gtkada-config... /cygdrive/c/GtkAda-1.3.11/bin/gtkada-config
> checking for GtkAda - version >= 1.2.11...
> /cygdrive/c/GtkAda-1.3.11/bin/gtkada-
> config: not found
> /cygdrive/c/GtkAda-1.3.11/bin/gtkada-config: not found
> /cygdrive/c/GtkAda-1.3.11/bin/gtkada-config: not found
> /cygdrive/c/GtkAda-1.3.11/bin/gtkada-config: not found
> /cygdrive/c/GtkAda-1.3.11/bin/gtkada-config: not found
> /cygdrive/c/GtkAda-1.3.11/bin/gtkada-config: not found
> /cygdrive/c/GtkAda-1.3.11/bin/gtkada-config: not found
> no
> *** Could not run GtkAda test program
> configure: error: Test for GtkAda failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.
>
> Am I doing something really stupid here? If so could someone please tell me
> where I am going wrong.
> Thanks,
> Les
>
> > You can create a simple gtkada-config script.
> >
> > We use the following gtkada-config script under Windows.
> >
> > Arno
> > --
> > #
> > prefix=/GtkAda/winnt
> >
> > while test $# -gt 0; do
> >   case $1 in
> >     --version)
> >       echo 1.2.12
> >       ;;
> >     --cflags)
> >       echo -I$prefix/lib
> >       ;;
> >     --libs)
> >       echo -L$prefix/lib
> >       ;;
> >   esac
> >   shift
> > done

--------------3203B06968A63F5EA36CB716

Thanks Arno.  Your suggestion, together with an e-mail I found in the archive, specifying
that BUILTIN_PS=winnt should be replaced in the Makefile (gvd subdirectory) with
BUILTIN=stub, did the trick.

In order to save time and questions, I would suggest a new Install file:
!----------------------------------------------------------------------
Building GVD
============

Prerequisites:
- GNAT 3.13 or higher
- GtkAda 1.2.10

To build GVD, you first need to install GNAT and GtkAda, then
do the following:
1.     make sure that the path to include the bin directory where GtkAda is installed.
       for example (Windows 9x/NT/2000):
       set path=%path%,c:\GtkAda-1.3.11\bin

2.     If you are using GtkAda Windows9x/NT/2000 distribution
       (i.e. GtkAda-1.3.11.exe or later), make sure you have an gtkada-config file in
       the GtkAda bin directory.  This file is missing from the distribution/instalation!
       If missing, you can use the sample file provided below.  Edit the file and fix
       the prefix variable to point to the actual GtkAda root location (the default
       that GtkAda instalation is using is is c:\GtkAda-1.3.11).

3.  $ ./configure --prefix=<prefix>

       <prefix> should be the GtkAda prefix, i.e. c:\GtkAda-1.3.11

4.     If building for Windows 9x/Me, edit the Makefile that configure generated in the
       gvd directory.  Locate the statement:

       BUILTIN_PS=winnt

       and replace it with:

       BUILTIN=stub

       failure to do this will result in a link error when linking Gvd (the error is
       ld: cannot open -lpsali: No such file or directory
       )

5.  $ make
6.  $ make install

It is possible to specify the name of the gnat compiler when it is
different from gcc (e.g. gnatgcc). The following options are provided:
   - Specify the name of the compiler at configure time
      $ CC=<your-gnat-compiler> ./configure <...>
      $ make
   - Specify the name of the compiler when invoking make
      $ ./configure <...>
      $ make CC=<your-gnat-compiler>

here is a simple gtkada-config:

#
# NOTE: update the prefix in the following line to point to the actual GtkAda root!!!!
prefix=c:/GtkAda-1.3.11

while test $# -gt 0; do
  case $1 in
    --version)