[gvd-users] GVD 1.2.4 considerations

wwp gvd-users@lists.act-europe.fr
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:48:39 +0100

Hi there,

Newly subscribbed to this mailing list, I would like to thank the GVD developers
for this beautiful piece of software they've provided to the developers community.

I've just installed GVD 1.2.4 (binaries for GNU/linux x86), bored of some DDD lacks
and unconveniences.
I've found GVD a professional look, and powerful features that make a handy and
convenient tool for debugging, clean, fast and solid.

Unfortunately, I've found a few itchy things while debugging C/C++ programs, so I
would like to report them, please tell me if I've missed something, or if it exists
some workarounds I've didn't noticed (sorry, it's quite long):

- (UI: minor but boring)
Double-clicking on the source view in order to select an identifier doesn't select
any identifier containing at least a '_' (underscore) in its name.
I mean that if I double-click on a variable named "myVariable", it select it OK then
I can display/print it, and so on. But, double-clicking on a variable named "my_variable"
will only select "my" or "variable" (following where I've clicked). Is this intentional?

1) (UI: minor)
the left side tree shows the source files and their functions. What about showing the main()?
I was not able to return to the main(), except by scrolling the source file, or with the
"show current location" if only the current location is in the main() :-).

2) (data display: major)
debugging a C++ program, GVD was not able to display _some_ objects content.
The display was empty, or if I try casting the pointer with the "display expression"
feature, the data window shows a pointer (0x..) and double-clicking on it does
nothing (DDD was able to display the content, as expected).
Are there some known limitation in data displaying?
I think this problem has to be digged a lil' bit. Should I provide more info about the
object (screenshot, class info, etc.)?

3) (sessions: major)
When loading a specific saved session, I got a "Unexpected internal error, please
report" error displayed in the status bar. No other info, even when launching GVD
from a term, with the --log-level 4 command line. The message log only shows a
"(gdb) set args " followed by the args. I've noticed that the args string is a lil' bit
long (275 chars) and that manually making it shorter in the config file will prevent
the crash.

Okay it seems that GVD has problems with long strings sent to gdb? But it doesn't
report verbose info, then crash after some strange behaviour :-\.

Moreover:
- I open GVD, then "File".. "Open session".. I click in the left pane on the session
I want to load. The right pane shows one entry (as expected).
- I click on OK then I get the error describbed above.
- I want to retry this: "File".. "Open session".. I click in the left pane on the
session I want to load again. The right pane then shows nothing!
- I click on OK, then GVD disappears (probably segfault), nothing reported on the
term.
Confusing isn't it?

4) (sessions: minor)
When loading a session, it plays back the saved status. I mean that everything is restored,
including playing the command history.
Could it be possible to _optionally_ restore the tracing status?
Sessions are very handy to save open file/args, data displayed and breakpoints, but
it could be helpful to be able to choose if loading a session will "play" the whole
command history, or only restore data/breakpoints/views/etc.

5) (sessions: minor)
view. I mean that the pane shows "list of files" and that's all. Of course right-clicking
on it and "reload files" works but it doesn't restore this tree's status (must be unsaved
so).
Could this be done automatically (or optionally), when loading a session?

6) (sessions: request)
Would it be possible to use a command line option in order to load a session at startup?

Feel free to ask anything that could help understanding the problems reported (screenshots,
configuration, files, more testing, etc.).

Thanx in advance for any reply,

best regards

--
wwp