[gvd-devel] Problem using GVD

David Piepgrass qwertman@hotmail.com
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 18:41:28 -0600

In case you're curious: prc-tools has a PalmOS command-line-only build of
GDB 5.0 whose capabilities, AFAIK, have not been grafted into the main GDB
distribution--hence I can't use the graphical version of GDB to debug my
palm application.  I can't use DDD either because it requires X-Windows.
So, I was happy to find GVD.

I have a working installation of GVD on Win2000 which seems to work fine on
native Win32 exe's (I made a Hello World app just to see if I it would work,
and it did).

However, when using GVD to debug a PalmOS application, it never shows the
current source line, nor does open the source file containing the current
source line.  I can view the source (a list of source files are made when it
loads the COFF executable), set breakpoints, make watch expressions,
etc--but it won't show the current line and the "Show Current Location"
option when you right-click is grayed out.

Steps:
1. Start PalmOS emulator, and start GVD with the --debugger m68k-palmos-gdb
argument
2. File | Open Program, choose the COFF executable (the intermediate file
from which the palm database is built)
3. Type at (gdb) prompt: target pilot localhost:6414
4. gdb waits for the program to start in the emulator.  Click on my program
on the emulator's screen
5. gdb breaks at the beginning of the program

gdb prints this when it first breaks:
136 Keyboard.cpp: No such file or directory
However, GVD can find the sources just fine--like I said I can view them and
set breakpoints.

I would send you an example transcript of a GDB session except for some
reason I can't copy it from the bottom pane--I was able to copy the line
above (I selected it and pressed Ctrl+C); however, after that I couldn't
copy anything else from the pane.

I would appreciate any help.  Please reply to qwertman@hotmail.com (I don't
know how to use your mailing list.)