[gvd-devel] gvd problems...

Emmanuel Briot briot@gnat.com
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:56:34 +0200

 > I just downloaded and installed gvd (via gvd-1.2.0-1.i386.rpm), and it
 > certainly looks very promising indeed, but I'm having some problems that
 > rather limits in usefulness right now. In particular, it seems unable to
 > inspect core files. At least, I won't get anything in the stack trace
 > window when I start with core as 2nd argument or open it via "Open core
 > dump", when the same works just fine with ddd.

Try typing "core core" in the command window at the bottom of the gvd screen,
and see if it improves things. I can't remember right now whether we
implemented the "open core file" on all platforms.
If the problem isn't in opening the core file, it might be because we do not
send a proper refresh command to the backtrace window. Maybe you can try to
hide it and show it again.

Or you might want to always run your program inside gvd. It won't really slow
it done (except for the loading part), and at least you'll be able to inspect
everything when a crash occurs.

Any information you can send will be helpful to fix gvd, if needed.

 > Also, it would make a _LOT_ of difference to me if the if the source
 > file pane would list C++ methods (this can't be hard to implement, it is
 > just a matter of accepting slightly different conventions for function
 > names.)

We are primarily interested in Ada, on our side. We would gladly integrate any
code that does the above, especially since it would indeed be very helpful for
C++ developpers. However, we except contributions in this area. Any candidate ?
Basically, this explorer is based on regular expressions, we are currently
using the Emacs ones.

 > and is there really no way to search the source code?

This is indeed not doable currently. However, we are working hard on a new
improved version of the editor (that would actually permit editing), that will
have this searching capabilities.
This will not be available in the next version, since there a lot of other
changes we need to stabilize first.

Emmanuel