[gtkada] issues with mixing GPS and GtkAda versions

Rob Groen robgr at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 3 17:52:24 CET 2016

Hello,

On a Win7 platform I intend to use GPS-GPL2014 and GtkAda 2015
(currently both still on the 2014 version).

Wrt the PATH variable there are two options, either the GtkAda bin
directory comes first, or the GPS-GPL bin directory comes first.

When Gtkada bin (2015) comes first:

- I noticed incompatible behavior with Gtk_Tree_Model_Filte. The 2014
version Gtk_New accepts a Null_Gtk_Tree_Model for the child model and
but from the resulting Tree_Model_Filter the type can't be acquired
using Glib.Object.Get_Type.
- When closing GPS an error box is shown: "The application has requested
the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way"

When GPS-GPL bin (2014)come first:

The two above mentioned situations do not occur;
However, my GtkAda applications look ugly (font and font size) and I get
the following messages:

(gen_signal_args.exe:9460): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font,
expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderWin32', script='common'; and
(gen_signal_args.exe:9460): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font,
expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderWin32', script='latin'

I am reluctant to switch to GPS-GPL 2015 because on a i386 (32bits)
linux platform I am stuck to the 32-bits compiler and I don't want to
use two different GPS versions.

So what to do? (not: buy a 64-bit platform J)

Best regards

Rob