[gtkada] ANN: GtkAda contributions v3.8

Dmitry A. Kazakov mailbox at dmitry-kazakov.de
Sun Jun 8 14:44:09 CEST 2014

On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 13:47:44 +0200, you wrote:

> Does the release of your Gtkada contributions voor 3.x mean that the
> problems that were discussed in March wrt the memory allocation issues
> are solved? I ask, because I am still experiencing the same problems
> with 3.x... Admitted, I have tried it only once, but when that produced
> the same negative results I gave up...

As far as I can tell those problems are gone. There exist others though:

1. GtkCellRenderer leak. When you click on the cells in the same column of
a tree view (they all share the renderer), the renderer's reference count
goes up stays so. I.e. renderers leak. This is same under both Windows and
Linux.

2. GtkSourceView has Set_Language bug that crashes the application. It does
not happen under Linux. Probably it is related with themes and other
unrelated files frequently missing under Windows.

I released it nevertheless because otherwise one would have to wait for
another.

Considering the mess which GTK+ 3 is in, I think AdaCore makes a big
mistake releasing GPL-ed GtkAda only once a year while not providing
sources (both GTK+ and GtkAda) which would build under Windows. This
effectively kills any interest in GtkAda. E.g. Linux packages were not
released at all.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov