[gtkada] Patch: Add a command variable for Python.

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Thu Jan 30 19:23:52 CET 2014

Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 16:13:41 +0100, you wrote:
>
> > Emmanuel Briot wrote:
> >> We do not, in general, expect users to use binding.py directly (and
> >> certainly not as part of an automatic install on a distribution,
> >> better to use the provided pre-generated source files).
> >
> > Fedora's policy is to build all software from source.
>
> So? In this case the source is the input of the generator whatever it
> be and its configuration files.

The true source is the C source code of GTK+ and its associated
libraries, including the annotations in the C files. GIR files are
generated from those sources, and binding.py generates Ada code from
the GIR files. binding.py is however unable to handle the GIR files
that are packaged in Fedora, which certainly counts as a specific and
notable downside to using those files. Therefore the GIR files that are
bundled in the GTKada source package are the closest to source that I
can get.

> The generator itself must be a
> prerequisite of the package, e.g. Python.

The generator, binding.py, is included in the GTKada source package,
but Python is indeed a prerequisite.

Björn Persson