[gtkada] Status

Stéphane LOS slos at hilscher.com
Tue Jul 2 10:22:55 CEST 2013

Hello there,

I am new to GtkAda but I am quite used with gtkmm :
http://slo-ist.fr/hilscher/netic-netic-test-tool

I am also new to Ada and learning it through my GMGPLed project "Ada for
Automation" :
http://slo-ist.fr/ada4autom

Of course, I would like to have some GUI for it using GtkAda.

I have sent an email which remains unanswered :
http://lists.adacore.com/pipermail/gtkada/2013-June/004260.html

When learning Ada, a language designed with quality in mind, one expect
the test / demo applications to just work out of the archive.
So I am a little bit disappointed with my experience.

As I was saying in my previous email :
The glade thing does show the buttons in the toolboxes only when the
mouse flies over them, it is unusable.
The testcairo.exe works fine.
The testgtk.exe does not do what it is intended to. Looking at it it
seems that it uses deprecated stuff, like in "gtkbuilder_example.xml" :
<interface>
   <requires lib="gtk+" version="2.14"/>
<!-- interface-naming-policy toplevel-contextual -->
   <object class="GtkWindow" id="window1">
     <signal name="destroy" handler="on_window1_destroy"/>
     <signal name="delete_event" handler="on_window1_delete_event"/>
     <child>
       <object class="GtkVBox" id="vbox1">

When comparing what is here :
http://docs.adacore.com/gtkada-docs/gtkada_rm/gtkada_rm/

with :
file:///E:/GNAT/2013/GtkAda/share/doc/gtkada/gtkada_rm/index.html

I can see that the GtkExtra stuff is gone.
I cannot find anything related in :
file:///E:/GNAT/2013/GtkAda/share/doc/gtkada/gtkada_ug/index.html

Could someone tell what is the status of GtkExtra ? Is it work in
progress or definitely dead ?

I am willing to help if I can. I could try to fix some little bugs if
someone knowledgeable can drive my effort.

I am not complaining. If we want people new to Ada to enjoy it we have
to iron out those nasty bugs and I want to help.

Thank you to let me know if there is another attempt to this and how we
could work together.

--
Best Regards,
Cordialement,