[gtkada] learning GtkAda

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Fri Oct 26 11:32:00 CEST 2012

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 11:11:55 +0200
"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox at dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote:

> You have to remember that GTK is more than GUI, it encompasses a
> large set libraries some of which have nothing to do with graphics.
> e.g. glib or gio. So GtkAda is necessarily incomplete, but you should
> not worry about that most of the time. (Some of the things missing in
> GtkAda you find in the GtkAda contributions.)

Sure...that's something which I expect from the bindings provided by
higher-level language and it's similar to Python, Haskell etc.
bindings.

> You should likely read GTK tutorials first in order to understand GTK
> fundamentals. Essential are packing, signals/events, the object model
> and reference counting, the GTK's MVC.

Thank you.

> Rosetta Code
>
>    http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Rosetta_Code
>
> has many short samples of GUI tasks implemented in GtkAda which you
> can study.

Wonderful...thank you very much for the link.

> GtkAda user guide is helpful to learn how GtkAda bindings work, but
> it is too sketchy regarding GTK itself. You will not use it much
> because GtkAda design is easy to understand by reading package
> specifications. It is Ada, after all. (:-))

:-)

Although not really started (I plan to start with wikibook, Ada Craft
book and soon buy Barnes), I really wonder how is it that I was
fiddling with some half-done languages/environments in the past and
haven't discovered Ada earlier. :-(

> GtkAda reference manual is for your daily work. Look for an older
> version (from 2.14), which is more comfortable to use.

OK.

> You will need to refer to the official GTK/glib/... RMs time to time.
> You fill find a strong correspondence between GtkAda and the RMs.

OK. It's also nice to see that GtkAda provides some other extra
features like "takes care of all the memory management for you".

Sincerely,
Gour