[gtkada] Successful installation on an Ubuntu system

Brian Drummond brian at shapes.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 8 16:48:00 CEST 2012

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 06:54:43 -0700, Chris Sparks wrote:

>Has anyone been successful in getting gtkada installed on an Ubuntu
>system?  I have version 11.10 (I think) and have been having issues
>related to crt0 and not being able to create an executable.

I had the same issue compiling Ada for Atmel AVR processors.

It appears to be the Multilib problem, discussed recently on comp.lang.ada in a
different context. Basically, newer versions of Debian (Ubuntu etc) have moved
libraries from e.g. /usr/lib to /usr/lib/<some architecture> where <some
architecture> might be linux-x86-64 (or linux-armhf or whatever) to simplify
building for multiple targets , i.e. cross-compiling or even 32 and 64 bit on
the same system.

One solution is
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/<some architecture>
before running gnatmake, so that the linker can find crt0 and the other
libraries it needs. (For an accurate fix, search for multilib, LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and see where the libraries are on your system)

There may be better solutions.
The official packaged compiler for your system ought to understand multilib
already and not need this workaround, but I'm not clear how, and I don't know
how (or even if it's possible) to apply that solution to other (e.g. Adacore or
home-built) compilers.

- Brian