[gtkada] Patch: Make DESTDIR orthogonal to prjdir.

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Wed Aug 1 22:56:29 CEST 2012

Emmanuel Briot wrote:
> On the other hand, the convention is that upper case variables in Makefile
> are supposed to be overridable by the user from the command line, whereas
> users should not try to override lower-case variables.

That's news to me, but OK. I can work with upper case too.

The very nicest solution would of course be if it could be configured through
the configure script, and then it would seem appropriate to write it in lower
case, similar to prefix, libdir and others, but overriding it on the Make
command line is good enough for me.

> Your patch also results in double-quoting on the command line, thus it isn't
> protecting directories with spaces:
>
>      mkdir -p ""/usr/local/gnat/lib/gnat""

Oops, I must have confused Make syntax with shell syntax. Thanks for fixing
that.

> I would not encourage you to
> install the project files in another location that prefix/lib/gnat.
> prefix/share/gpr is not supported by all tools, and is also fairly recent
> in any case.

It's not obvious to me which tools that would be. Gnatmake, GPRbuild and the
gnat driver all support it in the versions we have in Fedora 17, and according
to the GNAT User's Guide none of the other GNAT tools understand project files
at all unless the gnat driver reads the project files for them.

Björn