No subject

Mon Nov 7 12:11:29 CET 2011

   [...]

   However, unrestricted linking of non-free programs would deprive the
   users of those programs of all benefit from the free status of the
   libraries themselves.  This Library General Public License is
   intended to permit developers of non-free programs to use free
   libraries, while preserving your freedom as a user of such programs
   to change the free libraries that are incorporated in them.  (We have
   not seen how to achieve this as regards changes in header files, but
   we have achieved it as regards changes in the actual functions of the
   Library.)  The hope is that this will lead to faster development of
   free libraries.

   [...]

   For example, if you distribute copies of the library, whether gratis
   or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that we
   gave you.  You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
   source code.  If you link a program with the library, you must
   provide complete object files to the recipients so that they can
   relink them with the library, after making changes to the library and
   recompiling it.  And you must show them these terms so they know
   their rights.

   [...]

    a) Accompany the work with the complete corresponding
    machine-readable source code for the Library including whatever
    changes were used in the work (which must be distributed under
    Sections 1 and 2 above); and, if the work is an executable linked
    with the Library, with the complete machine-readable "work that
    uses the Library", as object code and/or source code, so that the
    user can modify the Library and then relink to produce a modified
    executable containing the modified Library.  (It is understood
    that the user who changes the contents of definitions files in the
    Library will not necessarily be able to recompile the application
    to use the modified definitions.)

So it looks like even if you don't make a static binary you have to
distribute your object (.o) files as well.

--
Preben Randhol -------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/Ada95 --
                 «For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.»