[gtkada] Problem Linking a GtkAda Tutorial Program in a New Installation

Minder, Lawrence - ES/IEWS Lawrence.Minder at itt.com
Thu Jun 4 20:22:06 CEST 2009

I am attending an Adacore training class on Ada Fundamentals this week, and am trying to get the GtkAda software package working as an extra exercise while the instructor is still available..

I am running in a Windows XP SP3 environment and am using GPS GPL V4.2.1 (20080115) for the training, which is working without a problem.  I have downloaded from the Libre site GtkAda V2.14.0 (20081216).  I installed it into its default folder, C:\GtkAda.  After installation, I chose to do the Automatic Configuration of the GtkAda libraries for use with my default  GNAT compiler (i.e. GPS GPL Edition).

Per the Gtkada User Guide, I am trying to compile one of the tutorial programs using the Windows command line as follows:

Gnatmake C:\GtkAda\share\examples\gtkada\tutorial\helloworld\hello.adb -IC:\Gtkada\include\gtkada

I get the following series of messages:

   gcc -c -IC:\Gtkada\include\gtkada hello.adb
   gcc -c -IC:\Gtkada\include\gtkada hello_package.adb
   gnatbind -IC:\Gtkada\include\gtkada -x hello.ali
   gnatlink hello.ali
   ... numerous messages similar to the following
   b~hello.o:b~hello.adb:...: undefined reference to 'gdk__display_E'
   b~hello.o:b~hello.adb:...: undefined reference to 'gdk__event_E'
   b~hello.o:b~hello.adb:...: undefined reference to 'gdk__bitmap_E'
   b~hello.o:b~hello.adb:...: undefined reference to 'gdk__pixmap_E'
   ... numerous messages similar to the above
   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
   gnatlink: error when calling C:\GNAT\2008\bin/gcc.exe
   gnatmake: *** link failed.

It appears I am missing a link library reference, but I do not know how to specify it and which of the many GtkAda folders to point to.  In the windows environment PATH are the two folders:  C:\GNAT\2008\bin and C:\GtkAda\bin.  The course instructor suggested I write this Email for assistance.

Any help would be appreciated ... Thank-You.  Larry Minder

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender.
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.