[gtkada] Initialize_Widget() of Gtk_Dial.adb in the Tutorial

Ben Fisk ben_fisk at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 3 21:04:06 CET 2008

Arnaud ;

Thanks for the response.  The date on the tutorial not so clear.  You are presenting the information as if the user understood your distribution method.  The easy to reach tutorial should be amended to point users where to go to get the latest release.  This would be using the search order of Gtkada to  Adacore's advantage.  Right now, you are showing confusing information that requires some research to figure out.  If that's ok, then so be it.  But its not clear why one would waste the good will of a Google search order result by confusing new users with ancient software.

Being new to this project, I am having to learn the nuances of how it operates and how to access the claims that are being made.  On this issue, I do have some concerns.  For example, the README files in the windows releases of the Gtkada software are clearly deficient.

Gnat and Gtkada are being offered through the Ubuntu channel.  This presents Adacore with a lot of opportunity to gain access to new users.  But the wonderful examples found in the distributions put into the Libre site tar balls are not in the Ubuntu's version of the package.

Ada core might want to use my frustration in not being able to use Google and Ubuntu easily to zero in on the right distribution for Gnat and Gtada with its tutorials as a message that it needs to be cleaned up some for new users.

Ben