[gtkada] implemention of Cairo

Anne et Damien Carbonne aetdcarbonne at free.fr
Sat Dec 20 09:47:13 CET 2008

Hi,

Indeed, I never ported myelf CairoAda to Windows, but the Ada part
should be portable.
I think some people have already done it. I remember also that someone
had used it on Solaris.
The main trick is with compilation on windows.
This is why I put the project on sourceforge: so that other can contribute!
Provided GNAT project files can really be improved!

Porting (mainly compilation issue) CairoAda to Windows is not my
priority (I have a dual boot system, but never use windows myself).
I also remember someone would have liked to have prebuilt CairoAda for
Windows.

Concerning GtkAda, a small wrapper has been written for it: it is
possible to use CairoAda with GtkAda.
The main difference between CairoAda and GtkAda approach is that with
GtkAda the user needs to call himself ref/unref with access types,
whilst with CairoAda this is done automatically (with xxx_Handle).
However, the CairoAda approach has some issues: One should create a
Handle Hierarchy similar to the Objects one, but this is not yet done.
Derivation of CairoAda classes by user is not really possible (the Cairo
binding guide also indicates that this should be avoided).
All ideas to improve this are welcome.
Finaly, there is no problem to integrate this binding with GtkAda.
Licences should be compatible.

Regards,

Damien Carbonne