[gtkada] #999 GPS: xrestop

Emmanuel Briot briot at adacore.com
Fri Nov 25 09:43:28 CET 2005

I just became aware of the "xrestop" tool
(http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xrestop or from the SUSE dvd).

This is similar to top, but allows you to monitor the impact of your
application on the Xserver.
For instance, for a running GPS, I have:

lyon gps/gvd/gvd [1798]>xrestop -b | grep -A 14 gps
4 - GPS - GNAT Programming Studio (project: GPS) - gps-kernel-hooks.ads
( PID:  ?   ):
        res_base      : ox4000000
        res_mask      : ox1fffff
        windows       : 314
        GCs           : 120
        fonts         : 2
        pixmaps       : 742
        pictures      : 370
        glyphsets     : 3
        colormaps     : 0
        passive grabs : 0
        cursors       : 20701
        unknowns      : 11
        pixmap bytes  : 2036668
        other bytes   : ~518504

which indicates the number of X11 windows, graphical contets, pixmaps in
memory,... and allows to monitor for leaks for instance. This could be
very useful in the context of GPS, and we should probably investigate
how to have an automatic test based on that