[gtkada] gdk.event.get_is_hint()

Markus mb592923 at bahnhofbredband.se
Wed Oct 20 21:08:17 CEST 2004

Hi,
I'm trying to understand the scribble example found in the
\GtkAda-2.2.0\share\gtkada\examples\gtk_examplesgtk_examples in the gtk
distribution. But the gdk_motion_notify_hint_mask dosn't seem to have any
effect. Why?

To catch a motion_notify event you have to set the gdk_pointer_motion_mask.
However this cause the server to add such a event to a queue every time you
move the mouse. If the processing for the event takes too long time the
queue will grow fast and the program will lag behind. To prevent this
behaviour you could specify gdk_motion_notify_hint_mask. Then, the server
will only send one motion_notify event the first time the pointer moves
after entering a window, or after a button press/release event. This event
is supposed to be marked as a hint which you should be able to detect with
gdk.event.Get_Is_Hint().

Regards
Markus