[gtkada] patch for mac

Arnaud Charlet charlet at ACT-Europe.FR
Sat Jul 24 11:42:54 CEST 2004

> I'm working on it, but I'm not sure that all is well.

Indeed :-)

> Starting with Jim's patch I have made fairly minor modifications to
> configure.in, Makefile.in, aclocal.m4, etc. from the current CVS head.
> Just use autoconf to regenerate configure.

That's fine.

> First question:  Do you require a particular autoconf version?  If not,
> then I will not include the diffs to configure since they are
> redundant.  Whoever applies the patch can run autoconf.

Right (we always use the same version to avoid extra diffs in CVS,
but you can ignore this part).

What I'd suggest as a first step is to disable build of shared gtkada libs
on MacOS. That will simplify things greatly, and will avoid having lots
of darwin specific code. Once we have a clean integration/support
of darwin without shared libs, the support for shared libs can be added
as an extra step without blocking everything.

To disable shared lib, simply set BUILD_SHARED=no in aclocal.m4 for darwin

Also note that system conditional code/sections are only allowed in the
configure-related files (Aclocal.m4, configure.in), not in Makefiles.

So if you have darwin conditional code in Makefile, please factor these out
and move them to aclocal.m4 if possible, thanks.

> I hope to get some of these issues sorted out soon.  I get the sense
> that there is now a desire to spin a release that builds against GTK+
> 2.4.x, and since most Mac users are going to get that version I'd like
> to see GtkAda build out of the box as it were.  If necessary I could

That would be nice indeed.

Thanks for your effort.

Arno