[gtkada] Hide before Show?

Marc A. Criley m.criley at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 19 16:15:04 CET 2004

I got this to work, but the way I did it seems rather awkward.  (RH Linux
9.0 on Pentium PC.)

I've got a GLADE-generated dialog window that is brought up now and then by
my application.  That window contains a label that I sometimes want visible,
and other times, not.  Not ghosted, but truly not visible.

The GLADE-built window includes the label, and my plan was to simply Hide()
the label when it should not be visible.  (BTW, there's a GLADE button on
the Common tab that sets whether the widget is visible or not--but I saw its
setting making no difference in the Gtk_New procedure generated for the
window.)

So in my app I called Gtk_New for the dialog window, then called Hide on the
Label widget, then did a Show_All.  The label was visible in the window.  I
tried Unmap and Unrealize as well, and the label always came up visible in
the window.

It was only after moving the Hide invocation after the Show_All call that it
became invisible.

Like I said, this works, but it seems inelegant.

Any clarification for this behavior and/or suggestions for an alternative
approach would be welcome.

Marc A. Criley
McKae Technologies