[gtkada] Static linking to Gtk libraries for Solaris 2.8

Frode Tennebø frode at tennebo.com
Fri May 16 23:32:15 CEST 2003

On Friday 16 May 2003 12:50, Jeffrey Creem wrote:
[snip]
> can't really say I understand for sure but in general, you can not
> "distribute" this statically linked executable as easily and still
> remain in compliance with the LGPL since there is now no way for an
> end user to upgrade the LGPL components and continue to run you
> program.

I'm not a lawyer either, but that statement is positively false since a
staic binary is the only way for a 'vendor' to guarantee continued
usage of an application regardless of what the end user does or does
not with his existing components.

Actually, Linux is coming dangeoursly close to MS' dll-hell with every
new application requiring a new dynamic library or an upgrade which
breaks existing applications.

 -Frode

--
^ Frode Tennebø | email: frode at tennebo.com | Frode at IRC ^
|  with Standard.Disclaimer; use Standard.Disclaimer;  |