[gtkada] Static linking to Gtk libraries for Solaris 2.8

Preben Randhol randhol at pvv.org
Fri May 16 13:12:43 CEST 2003

Jeffrey Creem <jeff at thecreems.com> wrote on 16/05/2003 (12:50) :
> As a side note/caution. Once you create a statically linked executable based
> on Gtk. Please make sure you understand
> the license requirements for the LGPL. Since I am not a lawyer I can't
> really say I understand for sure but in general, you can not "distribute"
> this statically linked executable as easily and still remain in compliance
> with the LGPL since there is now no way for an end user to upgrade the LGPL
> components and continue to run you program.

Huh? If you upgrade Gtk+ then it is not certain you can run the program
at all. I mean if the program needs 1.2 and you upgrade to 2.2 then your
app will fail. So I'm not sure I see your point.

--
Preben Randhol -------------- http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/Ada95 --
                 «For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.»